In 1999 the midwives and doctors of WomanCare Centers established WomanCare Midwifery (formerly known as The Midwifery Center at DePaul) for families who were seeking a safe and satisfying birth center experience. WomanCare Midwifery serves low risk women and their families who are seeking an unmedicated birth in an environment designed to serve them.
If you want to know more about WomanCare Midwifery and about an unmedicated birth or midwifery care in your pregnancy, you are invited to come hear us speak and answer your questions. We offer an informational session called "Meet the Midwives" every month (formerly known as Open House).
OPEN HOUSE(FIRST THURSDAY OF EVERY MONTH)
- January 5, 2023
- February 2, 2023
- March 2, 2023
- April 6, 2023
- May 4, 2023
- June 1, 2023
- July 6, 2023
- August 3, 2023
- September 7, 2023
- October 5, 2023
- November 2, 2023
- December 7, 2023
THIRD TRIMESTER CLASS (THIRD WEDNESDAY OF EACH MONTH)
- January 18, 2023
- February 15, 2023
- March 15, 2023
- April 19, 2023
- May 17, 2023
- June 21, 2023
- July 19, 2023
- August 16, 2023
- September 20, 2023
- October 18, 2023
- November 15, 2023
- December 20, 2023
If you are interested having your prenatal care and birth with WomanCare Midwifery, please let us know when you call to make your first obstetric appointment at WomanCare Centers and make plans to attend our informational "Meet the Midwives" with your support person.
If this is what you seek, please call us at (757) 451-0929. Our spaces fill quickly.
"Meet the Midwives" is held the first Thursday of every month at 5:30 pm** via zoom and to find the events on our facebook page .
- You are welcome to "Meet the Midwives" any time! You do not need to wait until after your first appointment. We welcome families still in the pregnancy planning stages.
- We ask that you arrive early for a seat. We close the doors once we begin so families will not miss important information. Please plan for traffic!
- In the interest of maintaining a learning environment, please do not bring children to this event.
- **Dates are subject to change in the event of holidays, maintenance or weather occurrences. Follow the WomanCare Midwifery on Facebook and Instagram.
- The families who will birth with us must attend "Meet the Midwives" before 16 weeks. We believe that preparation for birth begins in the earliest weeks of pregnancy. If you have attended "Meet the Midwives" before, you do not need to attend again. You are welcome to come again but we do not require that you attend more than once.
Call us to schedule an appointment. We are WomanCare Centers at (757) 451-0929. Please let the receptionist know that you are interested in WomanCare Midwifery. She will take your contact information and our midwifery staff will contact you.
We welcome you! Our space is limited so call us early. Our gynecology clients (yes! midwives do gynecology) and previous Midwifery clients will have first priority. Call us today. We do accept transfers early in pregnancy in any remaining spots. Please contact us for availability. WomanCare Midwifery is for low risk women. However, if have risk factors that cannot be cared for through low intervention means, our midwives can still care for you. We want to give you the level of care you need for the safest pregnancy and birth.
Yes. First is that your pregnancy is a low risk pregnancy. The Open House is the next requirement. Please be sure to attend by 16 weeks. The other requirements are to keep a food and exercise log, to attend childbirth education from our list of educators, to attend Third trimester class and to attend all of your prenatal appointments. We do not require a doula but suggest a doula if you are having your first unmedicated birth.
Should you have a need that cannot be met or you choose not to participate in the requirements of WomanCare Midwifery, you can opt for any other type of care offered by the adept providers at WomanCare Centers:
- traditional care - a combination of providers with midwife-attended birth
- midwifery care - only see the midwives with midwife-attended birth
- CenteringPregnancy® - our group prenatal care format with midwife-attended birth
- physician-only - only see the doctors with doctor-attended birth
We are happy to offer you midwifery center-style care at Sentara Leigh Hospital Family Maternity Center; customized care that may include low-intervention, dim lighting, intermittent monitoring, clear liquid oral hydration, freedom of movement, hydrotherapy (shower), delayed cord clamping, and immediate skin-to-skin contact with your baby to promote bonding and breastfeeding.